Might League Moms

ML-Moms-Badge

Sunday 9 February 2014

Autism Sunday - What I beg you to pray for.

Today is 'Autism Sunday.'
What is Autism Sunday?? Well, it is the day where people around the world are encouraged to pray for those with autism. It's a nice idea, I guess. However, I'd like to give you my view, and it is just that. I don't speak for anyone but my own family. Others may have differing opinions and that is their choice and I fully respect that.

But I want to say this:-

If anyone feels they want to pray for my son, then I would be delighted.
But please DO NOT pray for a cure for him, he is not diseased, he does not need a cure.
Please, DO NOT pray for him to be fixed. He is not broken, he is perfect to me and does not need fixing.
Please DO NOT pray and ask that sympathy is given to my son or my family. We do not need sympathy. We live our life here as it needs to be lived for the security and well being of our child. Just like any loving family does. Sure, it might seem like an odd or boring or chaotic or even exhausting life to many, and yes, it can be, but it's OUR life and it's what we are used to. We need no sympathy.
If you are going to pray for my son, I beg you, pray for ACCEPTANCE AND UNDERSTANDING about autism. Pray that my son can grow up in a world where he is accepted for who he is. Pray for a world where everyone accepts diversity. Pray for a world that will not laugh, ridicule and bully my son because he is not what is considered the norm. Pray that people will see the beauty and innocence of my son. Pray that people will see his strengths before his weaknesses. Pray that people will stop being so judgmental of my son and of my parenting skills. Trust me, since becoming an autism parent, my parenting skills have become well honed and are second to none|!

So again, I say, feel free to pray for my son, but pray that the WORLD will change, not my child.

Thank you.

4 comments:

  1. I love this blog post. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about this Laura <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alexandra, I appreciate your comment very much <3

      Delete
  2. Hi Laura! My name is Cameron and I was wondering if you'd be willing to answer a quick question I have about your blog? I can be reached at cvonstjames AT gmail DOT com - Thanks! I hope to hear from you soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!! I created this myself, many themes and colours are available. Just go through Blogger on Google and it is really easy to do,and free!!

      Delete